Please support my blog by clicking an ad.
 

Monday, December 10, 2007

Stereotypes

Before I continue with my life story as a single father, I would like to address all the stereotypical things I have run into. I will probably leave something out and if I do, feel free to add to it.

When Anthony was in his first year, I went to get W.I.C. and actually got laughed at by one of the workers there and by a couple of the mothers that were there applying for their children. The comments were things like, "this is for Women with Infant Children, what is he doing here," and laughs followed by, "he doesn't look like a woman."

I then headed over to get state funding for things such as food stamps, daycare assistance, medicaid, and child support. I will get to child support in the next paragraph. As far as daycare assistance, that went off without a hitch, but getting food stamps and medicaid proved more difficult. I had to apply three times in North Carolina before receiving either one. I was given the excuse the first time that I wasn't a single mother and shouldn't need the assistance. The second time I was denied stating that I just needed to work more hours (it was midterms and I had dropped to 30 hours a week instead of 40 until they were over). Finally, the third time, I was approved for Anthony to have medicaid, but I was denied for myself even though my employer didn't offer medical insurance. I was denied food stamps all three times.

As for child support, I had to fill out a questionaire that was full of comments that catered to a woman. There were a lot of questions asking about the absent "father" and it seemed as though every question wanted to know something about the paternal parent. When I asked why it didn't say absent parent, I was told by the workers in North Carolina that fathers didn't get custody and was told to cross out everywhere it said father and put mother or maternal. That added up to around 25 places in the paperwork. In my opinion, that is sexual prejudice or at least some type of discrimination.

Oh yeah, don't even get me started on the subject of racial inequality. I was told several times that because I was a white male I shouldn't need help and minority mothers were always given first priority as an "unwritten rule".

I probably could have sued for some of the comments, but I just am not that type of person and I realize that there are people and government establishments that are just plain ignorant.

I would really like to hear any of your horror stories with trying to get state or federal assistance as a single father or single parent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testify brother! Sad and very true. As a single father I have witnessed many of the things you describe. I don't want to downplay the importance of programs that assist single mothers, but fathers are parents also and in many cases the only active parent. Could it really be that America's single fathers have become the most socially acceptable group to discriminate against?

Hey, and welcome to SFV!

Jeff B said...

It's great to hear stories from other single fathers. Thank you. I am a single father of two children, a 7 year old girl and a 4 year old boy. Their mothers drug was meth amphetamine. I was at home depot the other day and as my kids were doing figure 8's around my legs the cashier said, "looks like its mom's day off today", us single dads have it rough, sometimes I feel like no one understands.

Jason Spence said...

You really hit the nail on the head. I have the same problems. I also see it in the college atmosphere. There is not one scholarship, grant, or aid that is dedicated to single fathers. We are a stuggling and endangered breed looking for ways to make it in the wake of a broken home and the tumult of a failed relationship. All the while we carry the weight and responsibility of being a good parent only to have more hurdles put in our way. We just have to keep runing and keep leaping over those hurdles. Thanks for your words.